Monday, October 6, 2014

Plastic coated coat hanger v 1974 Leyland P76 anti-theft technology


Yes I am an idiot who realises in that 'ohnosecond' (the time between realising you have made an error, and the error occurring) that I have locked the keys in my 1974 Leyland P76 Super V8. The ohnosecond occurring as the car door slams shut and I see the keys in the ignition, instead of my pocket. 

How to get them out? After looking at various methods, I decided to use a plastic coated coat hanger and bent it into this shape so I could latch onto the interior door lock and jiggle it up. A complete success. I figured that a wire coat hanger might scratch the paint, so I went with a slightly thicker plastic coated wire hanger. It took about ten minutes and I was closely observed by the postman, several people walking dogs, people driving past etc. 

Yes, the car has an immobiliser. 

If you like this blog then bookmark the site, and also visit the Facebook page 'On Four Wheels' for more frequent updates. 

4 comments: